Thursday, December 10, 2009

Catholic Reflection: Christmas Love

It is just two weeks to Christmas and I’m sitting down and asking myself what is Christmas really to me? Just going down Orchard road it seems that all of Singapore is celebrating Christmas. Yes, Christmas has become a commercial time. Even non Christians are soaking in the atmosphere of the festive season. And it just seems like one of any other celebrations in Singapore. During Hari Raya Puasa, Geylang Serai glitters with light. During Depavali, little India is glittering and during Chinese New Year Chinatown becomes alive. It seems like different parts of Singapore a set aside to mark a festive season. Orchard road being the major shopping belt in Singapore gets a lot of attention throughout the year and the decorative lights of Christmas probably makes it even more exciting.

It is easy to get caught up with the hustle and bustle of the season. Buying gifts for loved ones seems to take the top priority as everyone rushes around to ensure they get a pleasing gift. Next, we’ll be all the parties that either we host or we get invited to. Amid all the rush, I wonder whether I’ve missed out on the true meaning of Christmas. To be honest, there were times that I missed out on the true joy of Christmas.

Jesus is the reason for the season. Without Jesus any Christmas gathering is just a social event without any true purpose. At this Christmas, I now reflect on God the Father’s great love for each and every one of us individually. We were trapped in sin and there was no way out. It was in the divine plan of god, from the beginning of time to set us completely free from this bondage to sin. His ultimate plan of love is that he should humble himself and come in to the world as one of his created being. Imagine The King of Kings the Lord of Lords, the creator of the entire universe who created it out of nothingness should humble himself and come as a child fragile and totally dependant on others.

The depth of his love we were never fully understood. Imagine a King allowing his only son to be borned among the poorest of the poor and even that illustration would be a very weak comparison to how much God humbled himself for us. I suppose I will never be fully able to comprehend the depth of his love. Are we missing out on the true meaning of Christmas? I think I have been missing out on it.

God grant me the grace to understand some depth of your love as I wait expectantly for the coming of Jesus into my heart this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment